Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day on the Job


I sat out early, and arrived about 30 minutes before I was scheduled to start getting to know the office, and my new role. I was welcomed by the woman I will be replacing, and she was delighted to meet another person who loves to be fashionably early. Upon pulling into the parking lot I had no idea what to expect. I was about to enter a high end firm, in a well off city, where I was told that I'd be interacting with those who live in million dollar homes. Exciting and a little unsettling all at the same time. Once behind the doors, I saw that I had nothing to fear. I listened attentively as the current receptionist broke down the front desk duties, I took notes, and asked questions, and little by little I became more comfortable. By the end of the day, she was in my seat, and I was in her's, answering phones, working on the end of day business, and chatting up a storm like we'd been working together for years.

I presented myself like I was comfortable in my own skin, and I think I was received well for it. Keeping in mind that this position has come about via a temp agency, I am choosing to treat it as an opportunity instead of just a gig. Its suppose to be long term, and I want to ensure that it will be. Although today's training was kind of an "everything in one day" kind of deal, I think I have a good understanding of the basics, and I am confident that I will fall right on into the groove of things with a couple of weeks of being on demand. After labor day, I'm on. Until then, I will be reflecting and preparing. A few more pieces to the work wardrobe, follow up with my temp agency and the organization that I have been working with for the last week, and I should be headed in a brand new direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment