Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Early Bird Gets the Worm


After months of applying for jobs, and after nearly 3 months of documenting this process, I finally got a reply. I was beginning to think that, once I hit the send button, my resume and cover letters never reach potential employers, but rather vanish into the abyss of the undesirables. I was excited to see the RE in my inbox. I had applied for a position the night before where I was really hoping to plant myself. Office work. Blocks from my daughter's school. 3 month duration with the possibility of extension. Doable hours and wage. Perfect. Landing this job would have meant, paying down some bills, being available to my daughter before and after school, and ending our homelessness.

I opened the email, it read:

"Thank you for your application.
We have hired someone else for this
position. Good luck to you in your job search."
My confidence was immediately a little shattered. Here's a position that I was extremely confident that I was well qualified for, wrote a great cover letter to get, painted an accurate picture of how I could be a beneficial fill-in. Yet, I obviously wasn't fast enough. At least that's what I'm going to believe. I absolutely refuse to believe that they went with someone better. I had that, it was mine, and now its gone.

Back to searching, back to applying, back to waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment