Saturday, January 21, 2012

Love, Peace & Creativity

The beginnings of my vision board


Just a lazy Friday night. While Emma managed to take over just about every inch of my queen sized bed with pillows, snacks and Netflix, I moved my stack of Essence magazines to my desk and continued to let the pouring rain pacify me. Samantha, of Rich Single Momma, recently shared a picture of her vision board with us on Facebook and it got me to doing some envisioning of my own. I've never created a vision board before, although one has been on my mind for the past year! It's the reason I bought the above corkboard in the first place. To mount, display and inspire. It quickly filled up with photos of Emma and cards from Emma and test scores of Emma's. Can you see where I'm going with this? What was originally intended for me, I succeeded in devoting entirely to my kid! Again, I moved myself to the bottom of the list, with something as simple as an array.

I put myself back on the list last night. I sat with my huge stack and just browsed. I had no idea what I was looking for, but I somehow knew it when I saw it, and so I cut it out. By the end, I was able to decipher three distinctive areas through all the images.

Love. Peace. Creativity

In a nutshell, those are the three most important areas of life for me. Having a balance in these areas equals an immediate happiness. I also realized that I tend to focus solely on the subsets of these areas - finances, mental health, family, travel, etc. When I think about these things individually it keeps me stressed out. It's as if each subset has its own never ending to-do list, which as you can imagine can be very overwhelming, especially when the expectation is to simultaneously work within these areas to get them to the finish line. When I was able to post these various images up on my corkboard, I was able to clearly see the interconnectedness of my desires and that the balance of it all is wellness. That's the starting point. It's reassuring to know that I'm already on the right track.

Do you have any experience with vision boards? Have they helped you stay on track? Did they teach you anything new about yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment