Monday, August 15, 2011

Healing in Numbers

"When four or five motherless women sit together in a room, however, the camaraderie is nearly instantaneous. Finally, they say. Others who understand... They can detect the subtlest inflection in each other's behaviors, the tiniest insinuation in a gaze, the inaudible frequency of spirit that reveals: You are one of me." - From Hope Edelman's Motherless Daughters

I'll be stepping out next week, to step into a new circle of sisterhood. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to seek out a Motherless Daughter's support group. In the mist of being the only motherless daughter in my immediate circle, I never considered the fact that I might ever be able to reach out to, and come together with, another woman who came of age under the same circumstances of loss. Such a woman reached out to me last week, and next week I will meet her at my very first Motherless Daughters meetup. I'm looking forward to all of the possibilities that this meetup will bring forth.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that your meeting is the beginning of a wonderful sisterhood:):) Have a great weekend Barbara:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kala. A wonderful weekend to you as well!

    ReplyDelete