Saturday, August 13, 2011

Those Special Touches

Sometimes, when a project takes a wrong turn, a little rethinking and creativity can save it from becoming a victim of the scrap pile. I was very proud of my very first puff stitch scarf, despite the fact that it felt more to me like a shawl than a scarf because of its width and length on an adult frame. What to do with a scarf that is too short when reworking it is out of the question? Well, just change the style of the scarf! I realized that I didn't get the look that I wanted from the ends of the scarf when I wrapped it around my neck, but a wrap here and a tuck there gave me the look that I had originally envisioned. I took both ends of the scarf and slip stitched them together to create a circle. Problem solved.


When it comes to headbands, fit is very important. The size of a headband can change with the thickness/weight of the yarn used and the size of the crochet hooked. This became apparent to me when I found my one-size-fits most two strand headband a lot larger with a different type of yarn. What to do if you don't want to purchase a pattern in the current headband style for your specific yarn thickness? One option is to work up a more functional style of headband.

A simple double crocheted headband can fit a range of heads, especially with elastic added! This headband can also fit a range of personal styles by attaching bows and flowers.

It can be both challenging and frustrating when one pattern no longer fits all, but the process of learning new ways of creating is the fun part.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful scarf and beautiful headband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work! Don’t know if you remember me but I used to read your old blog. Also noticed you have an Etsy shop... I just started one too. I am making some cool Tie Dye Cross-stitch Art and am trying to get the word out (I don’t have much traffic as of yet) You can check out my link to my Etsy Shop on my blog if your interested. Hope all is well and I enjoyed stopping in again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous Barbara. Sometimes you also need to be an engineer, in addition to being an artist to make things work. Also love, love the little model:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @chrissea: Thank you! Congrats on your new Etsy shop. I'll be sure to stop by and take a look at your creations! My daughter loves Tie Dye and I think cross-stitch is so cool :) Thanks for stopping by!

    @Kala: Thanks lady :) Very true. Creating can be a world of fun when you're trying to figure things out. My little model thanks you :)

    ReplyDelete