Friday, November 19, 2010

Chasing Home

Photo Credit


I wonder how many miles I've put on my car since February. How many hours have I logged while on the grind? Can the amount of shit that I've had to put up with, navigate, and discard really be calculated? As I peer out of Starbucks' picture window, at the wind wrestling through the trees, and the wet pavement on this cool Fall afternoon, I have an abundance of gratitude. The same level of gratitude that I have each time I exit the freeway to find the man or the woman standing there, holding his or her sign, hoping that someone in the line of cars will power down their window and extend an offering. An offering is usually made, and a momentary expression of accomplishment and Thanks comes across the face of the person on the receiving end. The moment ends, and the accomplishment is tucked away to free his or her hands and mind for the next offering.

This is reminiscent of my experience thus far. From house to house, organization to organization, failure to accomplishment, its really hard to focus on what all of those little accomplishments will ultimately add up to in the end, when your sole focus is to be at the right place, at the right time to receive. Well, upon review of all of those little accomplishments, I can now say that I have all of the pieces to the puzzle, and that they are falling into their respective places. The new year will bring with it an end to my homeless journey, and the beginning of the rest of our lives. Steadfast gratitude.

8 comments:

  1. You and Emma have all my best wishes as you move into the next phase of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! We are excited about putting down roots again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::tears:: Really. I know your struggle and have felt the hurt that you've experienced. I'm so happy this chapter is coming to a close for you and Emma. It's made you grow, I'm sure because I've watched you hustle your ass off for this over the last few months. All the shit you took off the various people along the way made you go even harder so don't forget to thank them too. You knew where you did NOT want to be and it made your determination even stronger. I'm very proud of you and can't wait to help with that good Berkeley apartment search. You got the best area because as long as I've known, they have rent control. A very good thing :-)

    So happy for you!

    p.s. - wish I could've come hang out today at the Bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very ready to be returning "home". Its just the place to be, lol. It couldn't have worked out more perfectly.

    You didn't miss anything at that place, except almost freezing to death, lol. They are always concerned that their tunes might be too loud, but they never ask if the air is too darn high, haha. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things are movin' on up! Congrats and best of luck to you and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, things are heading in that direction, one application at a time, lol. Thanks Tameka!

    ReplyDelete